Thursday, November 12, 2009

Don't Lick the Dog: Making Friends with Dogs

I absolutely loved this book, "Don't Lick the Dog: Making Friends with Dogs" by Wendy Wahman. Here is the link on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Lick-Dog-Making-Friends/dp/0805087338/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258086662&sr=1-1

What a great rhyming story!!!!!!! What a treat!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought about my dog Figaro as I read this story. Children and adults are always walking over and asking if they can pet Figaro. Some times they don't ask, they just want to play with him.

This books, through rhymes, tells children how to behave with dogs.I had brunch with a friend earlier today and I took the book to show her as she is a retired reading coach,. She is the consummate teacher. She constantly checks for understanding. Once a teacher, always a teacher.

The advice for children... and adults too.. is informative!

For example, "Stand still and let dogs come to you
to smell your hand or sniff your shoe."
This is so absolutely true!!!!!!!!!!

I plan to share with others: "But curl your fingers underneath in case one greets you with his teeth."

The colors and pictures are rather "in your face!"

I felt like there should have been some jazz playing while reading this book. In my ear, I can hear someone blowing the sax while someone else reads this book and sways to the beat at the same time.

"Whap! Whap! Whap! Dogs hate that!" Caught my attention!" I will be curious how my students react to this book and the picture that accompanies this line in particular. I wonder if the picture will scare them. Disembodies hands with longs nails seemingly grabbing/touching the dog at the same time as the dog seems to be quite distressed.

The pictures and colors are very hard with lots of sharp edges. It is not a warm and fuzzy book as you would expect when talking about dogs.

I experienced the line, "Cross your arms and turn your back when Jake jumps and barks like that" when I walked Figaro earlier today. I can tell you that this strategy works. They become confused and look for another willing victim to jump on and lick in the face.

I loved the line, "Dogs aren't toys to hug and squeeze or poke or chase or tug or tease. Just like you and just like me, dogs have personalities!" I loved this!!!!!!!!!! How creative and TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I enjoyed reading this book and wished that the pictures would have been more child friendly instead of being harsh, and sharply cut.. with VERY sharp edges. Even the hair cuts, nails, and dog's hair and fur was very sharp and bluntly cut. I noticed that there were several pictures where the children and dog's hair seemed to resemble combs with sharp-edged ends.

I can't wait to read it to my students next week and see their reactions.

Until the next time...

A children's book a day, keeps the scary monster away!

- Ida

No comments:

Post a Comment