Sunday, October 11, 2009

Why I Love Children's Books

A CHILDREN'S BOOK A DAY, WILL KEEP THE SCARY MONSTER AWAY!!!!!!!!

I am writing this blog because I love children's books and want to share my thoughts on books that I have recommended, children's books that were recommended to me, children's books that I have incorporated into the weekly story times that I share with my kindergarteners, first graders, and second graders at St. Benedict the Moor school in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

I truly believe that a children's book a day... will keep all of the scary monsters away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope that you will share your children's books in this blog with me also.

Here is a little bit about me.

I am a Librarian and I love children's books. I love holding them in my hands and leafing through the glossy pages eagerly anticipating how the story will unfold!

I love the way they look and feel. The highlight of my week is choosing them for story time and recommending them for other librarians, teachers, parents, and my own friends.

I wear many hats. I am an elementary school librarian and computer teacher. I work as a substitute librarian in a large urban public library also. I leaf through them when they are returned to the library and I often talk to the patrons who return them and their children on their thoughts on the books.

Based on their recommendations, I then check out the books and share them with my Kindergarten, first grade, and second graders during story time.

I love story time with my angels and take great care and love selecting the book that I will share with them each week.

My first week, I shared with them one of my favorite children's books. Leonardo the Terrible Monster" written by Mo Willems. I absolutely love this book! I went to Mo Willem's program when he came to the Carnegie Library for their "Black, White, and Read All Over" program series where children's books authors come and share their books and thoughts with the audience. Mo Willems is a great writer and I love how he captivated the young children and their parents a few years ago in Pittsburgh.

Here is the link to the Black, White, and Read All OVer:"

http://www.pittsburghlectures.org/section.php?pageID=109

Three weeks ago I read "Leonardo the Terrible Monster to my Kindergartners, first graders, and second graders. I was all of the characters. The children loved my story time and begged me to stay with them. I asked them afterwards why they thought I was sharing this book with them. They answered that I shared it with them because it was my favorite book and they were my favorite class. They also mentioned because he wrote about friendship.

Here is the link to Mo Willems blog.

Today is Sunday October 11, 2009. It is NY Times Book review day. Click on the next thread for more information!

CIAO for now!

- Ida

No comments:

Post a Comment