Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Where's My Mummy?

My students loved "Where's My Mummy" written by Carolyn Crimi.

Little Baby Mummy wants just one more game of "hide and shriek" before going to bed. Big Mama Mummy allows him just one more game. Little Baby Mummy runs and hides in the grave yard... then into the woods, swamp, cave, and under a tree.

He encounters various creatures while looking for his mother: BONES, GLOB, and DRAC. He tells them, "I'm not scared!" All of the characters tell him, "Little Baby Mummy, go to bed!"

He then encounters the last creature, MOUSE! He is scared and screams for his mother. His mother appears and wraps him in her warm, loving, arms.

Little Baby Mummy then went to bed!

I asked my students why I read this children's book to them. I asked for a show of hands of how many don't want to go to bed at night. I loved becoming all of the characters and reading with different accents. They absolutely loved this story and even quoted many of the lines amongst themselves!

This is a great, well-written, easy-to-follow story. It appealed to my kindergarten, first grade, and second grade classes. They voted on their favorite character.

DRAC won!

A CHILDREN'S BOOK A DAY, KEEPS THE SCARY MONSTER AWAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment