Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Years Day! - All the Colors of the Earth by Sheila Hamanaka

All the Colors of the Earth


by

Sheila Hamanaka

Today is the first day of 2010 and I decided to include a beautiful children's book that reflects children of all hues having fun together... Sheila Hamanaka's "All the Colors of the Earth!"

I love the color of this children's book because it includes two children from different sexes and races riding on the back of an eagle! I absolutely adore eagles because they are quite regal and majestic!

I knew when I saw this cover that I would enjoy reading this book. I am looking forward to sharing it with my kindergarten, first grade, and second grade students during story time on Thursday.

This book celebrates the beauty of diversity through skin color, hair color, and eye color. What a visual treat to behold! This book begins with the words,

"Children come in all colors of the earth - The roaring browns of bears and soaring eagles,
The whispering golds of late summer grasses, And crackling russets of fallen leaves,"

The pictures are soft and inviting. She uses lots of shades of brown, gold, and blue.  The words are poetic and seem to float off the page.

Children will enjoy looking at the pictures. There aren't a lot of words so they can focus on the colors and the story.

I recommend this book for all small children and their parents of every race... and hue!

Happy reading in the new year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Until the next time....

A children's book a day, keeps the scary monster away!

No comments:

Post a Comment