Wednesday, August 9, 2017

The Scraps book by Lois Ehlert


The Scraps Book by Lois Ehlert: Notes from a Colorful Life
I discovered the most interesting colorful book that I want to share with you. 

For someone who delights in bright, lively, engaging colors, I was so excited to have come upon this wonderful book.

"What is it like to be an artist? Where does inspiration come from? (And where do you look for your art supplies?)"

Having illustrated 35 picture books and wrote 25, this one is about Lois Ehlert's fun and creative life. She opens the doors and invites us in through this delightful must-read book!

How can you not love a book that begins with a large picture of a frog on the left page and on the right page the words in VERY large colorful print "DON'T READ THIS BOOK (unless you love books and art)!

Then into her life story we go...

"When I was little, I read all of the books on the library shelf, and I thought maybe someday I could make a book."

She shares pictures of herself, her grandparents, her parents, her home, and her assortment of goodies that she finds along the way.

Anyone who LOVES animals, fun text, bright colors, recycling, and making art out of unusual objects including scraps, and wants to design a picture book, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO PUT THIS BOOK DOWN!

She even walks us through how to make a bird treat and a cat mask step-by-step! But you will have to read the book for the recipe and cat mask instructions!

However, her adventures continue with:

"I use odd tools to create texture; I spatter paint with a toothbrush or rub a crayon over my grater.
Sometimes I go for a walk, looking for good stuff. Grab apples from a tree near my grocery store that I used as the cat's nose in Boo to you. Black locus seedbeds found in the park that I used as mouse tails in Boo to you. Pumpkin seeds I used for the cat's teeth in Boo to you!
Mother Nature gives me free art supplies!"

She walks us through the whole process of writing and illustrating a children's book. What a gem!

I would recommend this "outstanding... one of a kind... masterpiece to everyone of all ages who love art! This book will make a great addition to any school, nursery school, pre-school, public, home, or any type of library where people young and old can appreciate this delightfully fun work of art!


Happy Reading!!!!!!!!

Until the next time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A children's book a day, keeps the scary monster away!!!!!!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment