Saturday, August 7, 2010

My Family Plays Music by Judy Cox and Illustrated by Elbrite Brown

My Family Plays Music
by Elbrite Brown

Ping! Ping!
Bang! Bang!
Cha-cha! Cha-cha! Cha!

With everyone in her family making music, this spunky girl
can't help but want to join in! Her triangle chimes along with Dad's string quartet, and her maracas are in swing with Uncle Woody's big band. From jazz to rock 'n' roll to polkas, this young percussionist finds just the right beat for all kinds of music. Festive cut-paper art harmonizes perfectly with this soulful introduction to music.

As a singer and librarian, I just loved this children's book!  How fortunate to have such a musical family.

The book begins with colorfully drawn pictures of her family with the words... "This is my family. We all love music." Even the family dog is in a piture with musical notes coming out of his mouth......

This could have been my family....... My family is musical also.... I even named my dog... Figaro........

In this book... Mom plays the fiddle with a country western band... Dad plays the cello in a string quartet at Symphony Hall... Sister Emily plays the clarinet in a marching band... Brother Paul plays lead guitar in a rock 'n' roll band... Aunt Saffron plays vibes in a jazz combo. "She plays soft, cool sounds at the Blue Note Cafe." Uncle Woody plays the saxophone in a big band... "He blows swing tunes at the Paragon Ballroom while dancers glide beneath the flashing mirror ball. Grandma plays banjo in a bluegrass band. Grandpa plays tuba in a polka band.Great grandmother plays the pipe organ at St Peter's Cathedral. Cousin Dean plays the bongos at the Full Ear Cafe.. Her niece, Sadie... "plays pots and pans, drumming on them with a wooden spoon."

The book ends with the main character telling what instruments she plays...

"This is me. I play tambourine, triangle, cymbals, cowbell, woodblock, maracas, rhythm sticks, handbell, wind chimes, and soup kettle. Daddy says I'm a percussionist."

This wonderfully written and illustrated children's book contains a colorful Glossary at the end that describes a various music genres and terms that were used throughout the book.

I enjoyed reading this book. I think that it is a nice introduction to various genres of music told from a child's perspective. I will be recommending this book to friends and co-workers who are music teachers and who have children who play instruments, sing, and/or just love music... or  will soon....This book should be in every home, school, and public library.

Until the next time.......

Happy reading...........

A children's book a day, keeps the scary monster away!

No comments:

Post a Comment